Te Tai Tokerau
A four-hour drive north of Auckland, Northland is one of Aotearoa New Zealand's most significant historic areas. Beyond its beauty and tempered climate, the region is home to many of the early places and people who have made us who we are today.
Dating from the early 1860s, Clendon House reflects James’ standing in the community. But it’s the story of the impressive Jane Clendon, of Hokianga Māori and Irish descent, that the handsome kauri dwelling best tells.
Kerikeri Mission Station
Established in 1819 by the Church Missionary Society (CMS) in the shadow of Kororipo Pā, this was a junction of early Māori-Pakeha contact, a hotbed of CMS intrigue and politics, and a key site during two decades of rapid-fire societal change leading up to the signing of the Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
Māngungu Mission sits in a soulful spot on the Hokianga Harbour. It was the site of the largest ever signing of the Te Tiriti o Waitangi (Treaty of Waitangi), on February 12, 1840.
Pompallier Mission and Printery
From 1839, Pompallier Mission and Printery in Kororāreka/Russell was the hub of the Catholic mission in the country, its ground-floor printery producing prayer books in te reo Māori (Māori language) by the hundreds.